- Emergency advice/response
Quick overview of incident reporting
- Incident reporting is a system of recording and responding to events that pose a risk to people, property or the environment.
- Incidents are reported via THEMIS, or via a paper form for non-THEMIS users. Refer: How to report an incident.
- The person reporting an incident completes up to three screens of information (Person Details, Witness Details and Incident Details). The incident report is sent via Themis to the reporter's supervisor or another person nominated by the reporter.
- Incident reports are received by supervisors in THEMIS, who then respond. Refer: Responding to an incident in THEMIS.
- The supervisor completes two screens of information (Incident Response, and Incident Investigation & Classification). These screens record the investigation of the incident, the immediate corrective actions and any planned corrective actions. The supervisor can send copies of the incident report (excluding names of injured persons) to Asset Services (Maintenance) or an elected health & safety representative.
- For incidents that have a risk rating of medium-very high, an offline incident investigation is required. Refer: Conducting onsite Incident Investigations with an Incident Investigation Team.
- The information entered by supervisors is reviewed by the Local Health & Safety contact for the division, who will "Close" the incident if satisfied.
- The progress of a incident through this process can be monitored in Themis by the reporter, the injured/involved person (if different) and the supervisor. Refer: See what corrective actions have occurred following my incident report.
- See also these publications:
Browse forms and publications
Processes and Requirements
- Health & Safety: Incident, injury, hazard reporting and investigation requirements
- Health & Safety - Report, record and investigate an incident
- Health & Safety - Respond to an incident
- Health & Safety - Notify an incident to WorkSafe
- Incident Report (use this only if you do not have access to THEMIS)
- Incident Investigation
- Witness Record of Events
- Incident reporting flow chart
- Safety Bulletin 01-07: Serious Injury & Incident Notification
- Safety Bulletin 02-09: Incident Reporting & Investigation
- Overview of THEMIS EHS incident reporting - for process diagram showing tasks for reporters/injured persons, supervisors and Local Health & Safety contacts
- Monitoring and Reviewing EHS Incident Reports - for finding a report in Themis, reviewing its contents, and printing it
- Entering an EHS incident report
- Acknowledging and finalising EHS incident reports
- Changing the supervisor and organisation for an EHS incident
- Reporting non-injury incidents on behalf of another person
THEMIS Quick Reference Cards
General - for all users
Reporting incidents - for staff
Responding to incidents - for supervisors
Monitoring/managing incidents for an area
These functions are available to users with special EHS responsibilities.
THEMIS EHS software user training
For all staff
The following e-learning modules are available from the THEMIS website:
- How to complete and submit an Incident Report (e-learning module)
- How to acknowledge and finalise an Incident Report (e-learning module)
For staff with special EHS responsibilities
The following e-learning module is available from the University's Learning Management System (UOM staff login):
- Introduction to OBI (e-learning module)
Note: if you had your special EHS responsibility as of September 2013, you will already have access to this module. If not, please contact your Budget Division Change Leader as listed on the THEMIS Enabling Excellence Program website (UOM login) to gain access.
Occupational health and safety - subject matter - training
The following training courses contain material on incident reporting, response and investigation:
- Roles and Responsibilities for Supervisors and Managers
- Roles and Responsibilities for Non-Supervisory Staff
- Risk Management
- Incident Investigation.
Refer: Training courses available.
- Talk to someone for advice
THEMIS responsibilities used for EHS incident reporting
A "responsibility" in THEMIS is a menu of functions that users can be given access to. Some responsibilities are given to all users by default, but others are only given to users who need them to do special tasks.
This page lists the responsibilities that are used in the EHS Incident Reporting system in Themis.
Report or respond to an incident
These functions are available under the Environment, Health & Safety Applications heading in the following responsibility menus:
- UOM Staff Self Service - all staff have this responsibility by default;
- UOM Supervisor Self Service - all staff who have other staff reporting to them have this responsibility.
There is no difference in the functionality available between the two responsibilities. For help with using these responsibilities, refer:I need to report an incident or I need to respond to an incident (supervisors).
Manage incidents on behalf of a division or department
- UOM EHS Incident Report Super User - this responsibility allows management and review of all incidents reported within the University. It is allocated to divisional Local Health & Safety contacts, and some staff from OHS & Injury Management, and requires the approval of the Director, OHS and Injury Management. An access form is available from OHS and Injury Management. This responsibility is not available via the standard Themis System Access form.
- UOM OBI EHS Super User - only granted in conjunction with UOM EHS Incident Report Super User, this responsibility allows reports to be run on University-wide EHS incident reporting data using the Oracle Business Intelligence (OBI) tool.
For help with using these responsibilities, refer: I need to manage incidents from an area.