For supervisors: an incident just happened - what should I do?
This advice presumes you are a supervisor or manager, and the incident involves staff who report directly to you, and occurs in a workplace location that you are responsible for. If not all these conditions are true, then another supervisor/manager may need to complete some of these actions.
- Follow the sequence of immediate response detailed in Health & Safety: Incident, injury, hazard reporting and investigation requirements.
- For emergency on-site assistance, see Emergency advice/response.
- If needed, seek advice on immediate actions required to prevent a further incident.
- When immediate response is complete, ensure that staff involved report the incident.
- If the incident has a risk rating of medium-very high (refer: Incident reporting risk matrix), you will need to conduct an incident investigation to determine the causes of the incident and devise corrective actions to reduce the risk of the incident reoccurring. Refer: Conducting onsite Incident Investigations with an Incident Investigation Team.
- Once you receive an email notification about the incident from Themis, log in to Themis and enter information about your immediate response, risk rating and the results of any incident investigation. This is called "acknowledging" the incident.
- If there are outstanding planned corrective actions at the time that you acknowledge the incident, you will need to return to Themis again after the actions are complete, to confirm or adjust the information you entered previously. This is called "finalising" the incident.
Responding to an incident in Themis
- Receiving the email notification
- As soon as someone reports an incident in Themis and nominates you as the supervisor, you will receive an email notification with the subject line Incident Report "20XXXXXXX".
- Reviewing the incident report in Themis
- log in to Themis
- go either to your UOM Staff Self Service menu, or your UOM Supervisor Self Service menu
- Note: EHS incidents do not appear in your Themis Worklist (the list of tasks in the right column of the screen when you log in). You must go to the EHS workbench to view them, as described below.
- under the heading Environment, Health & Safety Applications, choose Review status of existing incident report
- find your incident in the table Incident Reports Awaiting Acknowledgement
- click the glasses icon
- the Person Details screen appears. Click Next to see the Witness Details screen (if there were witnesses), then Next to see the Incident Details screen. These screens contain information provided by the person who reported the incident. Click Cancel to return to the workbench.
- Acknowledging the incident
- This step presumes that the immediate response, investigation and initial corrective actions for the incident have been completed.
- Follow the same steps as above for Reviewing the incident in report in Themis, but click the yellow pencil icon instead of the glasses.
- the Person Details screen appears. Click Next to see the Witness Details screen (if there were witnesses), then Next to see the Incident Details screen. These screens contain information provided by the person who reported the incident.
- now click Next to go to the Incident Response screen. This screen asks you to enter information about what actions you have taken, or plan to take, to prevent or reduce the risk of the incident reoccurring. You can also refer copies of the incident report to Asset Services (Maintenance) and/or an elected employee Health and Safety Representative, and add attachments. At minimum, complete all fields that are starred.
- click Next to go the Incident Classification and Investigation screen. This screen helps you to calculate the risk rating associated with the incident (refer: Incident reporting risk matrix). For higher risk incidents, this screen prompts you to enter the outcome of your incident investigation. At minimum, complete all fields that are starred.
- to finish, click Acknowledge.
- if there are outstanding planned corrective actions at the time that you acknowledge the incident, you will need to return to Themis again after the actions are complete, to Finalise the incident. Otherwise, you do not need to do anything else.
- Finalising the incident
- Finalising the incident is only required if there were outstanding planned corrective actions at the time that you acknowledged the incident. When you finalise the incident, you are communicating that all the corrective actions are now complete.
- to finalise the incident, follow the same steps as you did for acknowledging the incident, with the following exceptions:
- the incident will now appear in the Incident Reports Awaiting Finalisation table
- on the Incident Response and Incident Classification and Investigation screens, the information you entered previously appears. You now have the opportunity to edit this if required.
- to finish, click Finalise. Now there is nothing more to do.
- Receiving the email notification
Help with Themis
Which risk rating should I enter for this incident?
Refer: Incident reporting risk matrix.
I'm the wrong supervisor for this incident
If you believe you are not the appropriate supervisor for an incident, first please log in to Themis and read the full details of the incident to be sure. The full details of the incident may provide an explanation of why you have been nominated as the supervisor. You may also wish to seek clarification from the person who reported the incident.
If satisfied that you are not the appropriate supervisor, or for further advice, please contact your local Health and Safety contact, who can change the supervisor for you.
I got an email I don't understand
Nominated supervisors may receive the following emails from Themis:
- Incident Report "20XXXXXXX" - this is an email addressed to you as the supervisor, asking you to respond to the incident.
- Incident Report 20XXXXXXX - Corrective Actions XX Days Overdue - this email is sent when you have Acknowledged, but not Finalised an incident, and the due date for planned corrective actions that you specified has passed. To make this email stop, please Finalise the incident.
Conducting onsite incident investigations
An on-site Incident Investigation with an Incident Investigation Team is required when the Risk Rating is Medium-Very High (refer: Incident reporting risk matrix).
Instructions on completing on-site Incident Investigations are available from Health & Safety: Incident, injury, hazard reporting and investigation requirements.
Use the following forms to record your results:
- Health & Safety: Incident, injury, hazard reporting and investigation requirements
- Health & Safety - Report, record and investigate an incident
- Health & Safety - Respond to an incident
- Health & Safety - Notify an incident to WorkSafe