Health and Safety Communication
If your area manages a local OHS committee, develop Terms of Reference for the committee meeting. (Seek assistance from your H&S Consultant establishing a local OHS Committee that is compliant to legislation) Develop a standing agenda for your management and team meetings; ensure Health & Safety is included on the agenda.
- Budget Division OHS committee terms of reference template
- Local consultative OHS committee terms of reference template
Current Safety Alerts and Bulletins
- Safety Bulletin 17-02: Serious injury and incident notification
- Safety Bulletin 17-01: Incident and hazard reporting and investigation
- Safety Alert 17-01: Using a microwave oven in a laboratory
- Safety Bulletin 16-03: WHO - Zika Virus Update
- Safety Bulletin 16-02: Chemical risk assessments - resources
- Safety Bulletin 16-01: Triggers for chemical risk assessments
- Safety Alert 16-01: Sit Stand Workstations
Archived Safety Alerts and Bulletins
Please note that the following alerts and bulletins are out of date but can still be useful for their various topics. Links, titles and content specificities may be incorrect.
- Safety Bulletin 15-05: Working with liquid nitrogen
- Safety Bulletin 15-04: Calibration Requirements for Health & Safety Monitoring Equipment
- Safety Bulletin 15-03: Pre-Purchase Risk Assessment
- Safety Bulletin 15-02: Mobile Devices and Walking
- Safety Bulletin 15-01: Insulated Electrical Plugs (retracted). Refer to Standard operating procedures for electrical appliances
- Safety Bulletin 14-01: Incident Reporting & Investigation (reissued). Refer to Safety Bulletin 17-01 - Incident and hazard reporting and investigation
- Safety Alert 12-01: Thermal Comfort and Heat Illness (Stress)
- Safety Bulletin 11-01: Incident Reporting & Investigation (reissued). Refer to Safety Bulletin 17-01
- Safety Alert 10-01: Thermal Comfort and Heat Illness (reissued). Refer to Safety Alert 12-01
- Safety Bulletin 10-01: Thermal Comfort in Winter
- Safety Bulletin 09-05: First Aid & Emergency Response
- Safety Bulletin 09-04: OHS Pre-Purchase Risk Assessment
- Safety Bulletin 09-03: Tagging and Removing Faulty Plant and Equipment
- Safety Bulletin 09-02: Incident Reporting & Investigation (reissued). Refer to Safety Bulletin 17-01
- Safety Bulletin 09-01: Calibration Requirements for OHS Monitoring Equipment (reissued). Refer to Safety Bulletin 15-04
- Safety Alert 09-01: Thermal Comfort and Heat Illness (reissued). Refer to Safety Alert 01-12
- Safety Bulletin 08-02: Electrical Testing & Tagging
- Safety Alert 08-01: Safe Use of Scissors and Knives
- Safety Alert 07-01: OH&S issues related to particulates from printers
- Safety Bulletin 07-01: Serious Injury and Incident Notification
Previous news items
- Friday 9 December 2016
Information Session: The University is enhancing identification of in-situ hazardous materials at Parkville Campus buildings. A staff information session about these plans and the labelling of asbestos-containing materials was held on Friday 9 December 2016 between 10am - 11am at the Old Geology Theatre 1 (Room G04).
- Tuesday 22 November 2016
Health and Safety Professional Practice Workshop #4: Held in Room 608, Level 6, Law Building from 1pm - 3.30pm.
- Friday 11 November 2016
Congratulations and Thank You to everyone involved in the recent WorkSafe Audit for their level of committment, time-investment and professionalism.
- Monday 19 September 2016
Health and Safety Professional Practice Workshop #3: Held in Room 608, Level 6, Law Building from 10am - 1pm.
- Monday 16 September 2016
Safety Bulletin: 16/03: WHO - Zika Virus Update
- Monday 16 September 2016
WorkSafe Health and Safety Month 2016: WorkSafe is having their WorkSafe Health and Safety Month (6 October - 27 October), where you can learn the latest in workplace safety (OH&S) and return to work.Registration is free.
- Wednesday 7 September 2016
Health and Safety Policy (MPF1205): The Health and Safety Policy has been updated and published on the Melbourne Policy Library website. The objective of this policy is to define the University’s commitment to providing a safe and healthy working and learning environment. This policy applies to all staff, students, contractors and other personnel at locations under the management or control of the University.
- Tuesday 6 September 2016
Audit Key Dates:
29 Sept - Pre-reading documentation due
19-21 Oct - Stage 1
24 Oct to 11 Nov - Stage 2
2 Dec - Draft exception report released
23 Dec - Remedial action plan due
- Wednesday 27 July 2016
Policies and Processes: All policies, requirements and processes relating to health and safety are published on our Policies and Requirements page. Procedures have been rebranded to become processes. New processes have now been approved and are published on this webpage.
- Monday 18 July 2016
Office Ergonomics: Train the Trainer course 12-2pm. Contact the Health & Safety team for further information on available Train the Trainer courses.
- Tuesday 28 June 2016
SOP and RA Form Library is live: The form library is a repository for Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Risk Assessments (RAs) approved by the Health & Safety team for use throughout the university.
This constantly evolving library will be regularly updated and is expected to become a 'one stop shop' when looking for SOPs and RAs across the University
- Tuesday 14 June 2016
Looking to order a new height adjustable desk?: View the University's perferred serivce suppliers (select Furniture) and answer the following questions:
These items should be prescribed by University of Melbourne staff with OHS responsibilities following a workstation assessment.
- Wednesday 8 June 2016
HSR Election Results: HSR elections to the OHSC was held at the recent University HSR meeting. Heather Daykin from Pharmacology was elected unanimously for a term of three years, beginning at the next OHSC meeting. Congratulations Heather!
- Tuesday 17 May 2016
Health and Safety Professional Practice Workshop #2 - Systems review and website update: Held in Room G21, Ground Floor, Alan Gilbert Building from 9:30am to 11:30am.
- Tuesday 17 May 2016
Draft Risk Management Policy Consultation: The draft Risk Management Policy is available for consultation on the Draft Policy Consultation Noticeboard until 30 May 2016. Please send any feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Monday 16 May 2016
- Wednesday 4 May 2016
Draft Health and Safety Policy Consultation: The draft Health and Safety Policy is available for consultation on the Draft Policy Consultation Noticeboard until 12 May 2016. Please send any feedback to email@example.com.
- Monday 4 May 2016
- Tuesday 28 April 2016
Health and Safety Professional Practice Workshop #1: Held in Room 608, Level 6, Law Building from 9:30am to 1:30pm.
- Friday 22 April 2016
First aid training now cataloged on iProcurement: Courses are now listed in the iProcurement cateloge. You no longer need to submit a non-cataloge request.
- Wednesday 6 April 2016
Sit stand desk video: New online videos on how to safely use various sit stand desks has been published on the staff hub. Check them out now!
- Wednesday 30 March 2016
2016 Staff Influenza Vaccination Program: The 2016 program will begin on Monday 18 April. Information regarding the 2016 program, including available locations, dates and how staff can book an appointment are now available on Staff Hub.
- Thursday 24 March 2016
New Health & Safety Website is LIVE: Any feedback, comments, broken links... please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Thursday 3 March 2016
Audit Workbook, NATv3.0: A new Health & Safety audit wrokbook has been published. This version 3 superceeds version 2.
- Tuesday 9 February 2016
Central specialist Health & Safety team have relocated: We are no longer in the Old Geology Building. You can now find us on Level 1, 1 Barry Street, Building 266 (formally 258 Queensberry Street). Note: The building address has since been rebranded 11 Barry Street.
- Monday 11 January 2016
New staff member: We have a new staff member joining the team. Pierce Brown has come on board whilst Lisa Lovell is on maternity leave. Pierce is working in supporting University Services staff Health & Safety needs.
Consultation papers and trials
We use this page to consult the University community about changes to health and safety policy and procedure. Sometimes we also seek feedback and participation for surveys and trials.
Consultation helps us to generate better health and safety policy and procedure, and to achieve healthier, safer and more environmentally sustainable workplace outcomes for the University.
When a change to health and safety policy and procedure is proposed, a direct email notification will be sent to key stakeholders, including elected employee Health & Safety Representatives, and an article will be published in Staff News. Proposed changes to Health & Safety Policy and Procedure will always be available for comment for at least ten working days.
All staff members are encouraged to provide written comments on the consultation papers posted on this page.
Papers currently available for consultation
Draft document title Consultation expiry date Enterprise Risk Management System (ERMS) Consutation period now closed
How to provide comments
- Review the discussion paper
- Email email@example.com. Include in the Subject field the discussion paper title.
- To guarantee consideration comments must be received by 5.00pm on the consultation expiry date.
- The Associate Director, Health & Safety, will consider all comments submitted by staff and, where relevant, take account of the comments into the ongoing development of the policy, procedure or initiative in question.
What happens next?
This section provides links to some of the outcomes of recent discussion papers:
- For newly published Health & Safety policies and procedures, please refer to the Change Log.