What to do and who takes action in the event of an emergency
In a life threatening emergency dial (0) 000, then call University Security on 834 46666.
The University has a number of ways of helping all of us respond to an emergency.
- All buildings have volunteer Chief Wardens and Floor Wardens who in the event of an emergency will coordinate an appropriate response to keep people safe. This may involve the evacuation of the building or other methods based on specific advice from Security at the time.
- On-site trained volunteer First Aiders in buildings are able to respond to immediate emergencies depending on the complexity of the medical issue and their relative personal safety. Always call the relevant emergency services, including Ambulance, if the emergency is beyond the competence level of the First Aider or others.
- University Security operates a 24/7 security service. Trained security staff can respond to and help coordinate additional resources to assist with the emergency.
Call Security on (03) 834 46666 or 1800 246 066 (free call) for emergencies at:
- Security numbers from other locations:
- Creswick: (03) 5321 4333 / After hours: 0425 700 042
- Dookie: (03) 5833 9200
Emergency Services activation is vital for events that are beyond the local capacity to respond effectively. If in doubt ring the appropriate emergency service and also inform University Security on (03) 834 46666.
- Bomb/substance and phone threat checklist
- Building evacuation report
- Building evacuation checklist
- Standard Operating Procedure - Automated External Defibrillator (AED)
- Actions to take in an emergency
- Building emergency fittings visual guide
- Building emergency resources database (chief warden list)
- Fire extinguisher types and their uses
- Safety Bulletin 19/05: First aid emergency response