Hazardous waste

Hazardous waste collection information, categories, labels, additional resources and frequently asked questions.

Hazardous waste is waste that poses a threat or risk to public health, safety and/or the environment. This includes waste generated in laboratories (laboratory waste) also referred to as prescribed industrial waste.

Hazardous waste generated in laboratories (and some other teaching and research activities) is collected by hazardous waste contractors – Green Care Environmental Solutions and Cleanaway Daniels Services – through supplier agreements. Both Green Care Environmental Solutions and Cleanaway Daniels Services are EPA authorised accredited agents engaged by the University of Melbourne.

Health & Safety Services (Business Services) through University of Melbourne service agreements/contracts, facilitate the removal of two categories of hazardous waste. These are determined as Category 1 and Category 2 laboratory waste.

The hazardous waste guidance sheet is a quick reference guide to the packaging, storage and other requirements when disposing of hazardous waste.

  • Category 1

    Category 1 waste is managed by Health & Safety Services through a central budget at no cost to the local areas.

    Examples of commonly produced Category 1 laboratory waste include (but are not limited to):

    • Strong acid waste
    • Strong alkali waste
    • Chlorinated waste
    • Cytotoxic waste
    • Developer waste
    • Heavy metal waste
    • Non-clinical waste sharps
    • Pesticide/herbacide waste
    • Solid contaminated waste
    • Oil waste

    Note: If you are unsure the classification of your waste, or if your waste has specific properties (eg a mixture of strong acid and peroxide) separate this waste from others, put in its own container and label the container appropriately with the name or contents of mixture.

  • Category 2

    Category 2 waste is facilitated by Health and Safety with the cost charged to the local areas.

    Examples of commonly produced Category 2 laboratory waste include (but are not limited to):

    • Anatomical waste
    • Animal anatomical waste
    • Bio hazardous materials (including clinical waste)
    • Biosecurity (quarantine) waste
    • Clinical sharps
    • Excess and out-of-date chemicals
    • Genetically modified materials (GMO) waste
    • Unused radioactive stock solution
    • hazardous waste collection streams yellow lid versus orange lid

Cleanaway Daniels: What cannot go in?

Cleanaway poster

Waste not covered by Health & Safety Services supplier agreements

Examples of waste not included in the supplier agreements are:

  • Asbestos
  • Batteries
  • Construction materials
  • P.C.B.
  • Polystyrene

Enquiries for the collection and disposal of wastes not included in the supplier agreement should be directed to Infrastructure Services. Information on maintenance, cleaning and removals is also available through Infrastructure Services.

  • Chemical waste collection by Green Care Environmental Solutions

    Collection details

    • Submit a hazardous waste form via ServiceNow  - Request something by COB the Monday of the collection week.
    • Collection for the Parkville location is scheduled
      • Fortnightly - 2nd and 4th Thursday
      • Monthly - 3rd Thursday
    • Collection for non-Parkville locations scheduled frequency is determined by the local area needs.
    • Ad hoc collections can be arranged outside the scheduled pickups by submitting a hazardous waste form. Please note the pick up will be no earlier than 48 hours after submission of the form. If the collection is urgent contact Anthony Holmes directly on 03 98138057 or 0430 018 541.

    For Category 2 waste

    When raising a purchase order for chemical disposal through iProcurement please ensure you select the following:
    Supplier: Green Care Environmental Solutions Pty Ltd ATF
    Supplier number: 350144

  • Biohazard waste collection by Cleanaway Daniels Services

    Collection details

    • Ad hoc collections, consumable and barcode requests can be arranged by submitting a hazardous waste form. Please note the pick up will be no earlier than 48 hours after submission of the form. If the request is urgent contact Cecilia Glover directly on 0448 116 283.
    • Cleanaway Daniels Services offers a 24-hour customer services team contactable on 1300 667 787.
    • Each department location has a dedicated barcode (eg Anatomy in the Medical Building). A department location barcode is to be attached to the outer bin/s for accurate billing purposes.
    • The collection scheduled frequency is determined by local area needs for both Parkville and non-Parkville locations.

    Reference numbers

    Cleanaway Daniels Services has set up Customer and Task Site (TS) reference numbers for each customer in each building. The customer number is used for billing purposes, the TS number is used to identify the customer's physical address of where the waste is located.

    For a timely and accurate service, please quote the TS number allocated to your department and building when submitting the hazardous waste request to Cleanaway Daniels Services.

    For Category 2 waste

    When raising a purchase order through iProcurement please ensure you select the following:
    Supplier: Cleanaway Daniels Services
    Supplier number: 354979

  • Waste collection

    Your waste will be collected if you:

    1. Complete the hazardous waste form via ServiceNow - Request something by selecting the correct waste category. Please provide a mobile number as the driver will call approximately 30 minutes prior to service.
    2. For Category 2 waste, ensure you have a purchase order number on the collection form.
    3. Ensure the waste is packed and labelled appropriately (refer to the Hazardous waste guidance sheet).

Hazardous waste labels

Local areas can use the hazardous waste labels document to print labels as required. When printing labels, ensure they are suitable for the purpose and not easily removed.

Additional resources

  • BioRisk Management from the Office for Research, Ethics and Integrity includes BioSafety information.
  • Infrastructure Services maintenance, cleaning and removals knowledge base articles in Service Now provide information for the disposal of waste that does not include Category 1 and Category 2 hazardous waste (UoM staff credentials required to access).

For further directions and advice please contact Health and Safety.

FAQ's for hazardous waste

  • In what way can we raise a purchase order?

    A standing purchase order can be raised via iProcurement on THEMIS .
    When raising a purchase order please ensure you select:

    • Supplier: Green Care Environmental Solutions Pty Ltd ATF
      Supplier number: 350144; or
    • Supplier: Cleanaway Daniels Services Supplier number: 354979.
  • What is the difference between clinical and non-clinical waste?

    The EPA describes clinical waste as waste that has the potential to cause infection. For any additional information regarding clinical waste categories contact hazardouswaste-info@unimelb.edu.au.

  • I have been told that my clinical waste needs to be weighed. How do I do this?

    The contractor weighs the clinical waste and provides this information back to the local area.
    There are additional methods that can be used to streamline this process, particularly where there are multiple labs and manifests.

    Each site gets their own Task Site and barcode, therefore the contractor can invoice each department accurately, considering the waste are barcoded properly.

  • Are we still using the same labels for chemical waste?

    No. There are updated labels available . The code for suitable self-adhesive labels in iProcurement is COS-LABL1006.

  • How will non-Parkville sites be serviced?

    The Green Care and Cleanaway Daniels Services will liaise directly with non-Parkville sites to identify their collection requirements.

  • Can we get quotes for biological containers?

    Yes, contact Cleanaway Daniels Services for a quote.

  • How do we obtain a certificate of destruction?

    Cleanaway Daniels Services will provide a certificate of destruction normally about 30 days after destruction.

  • Will the hazardous waste trucks be able to access pick up sites around Parkville during construction works in and around the campus?

    Yes, both contractors have made appropriate arrangements for suitable vehicles for access.

  • What happens if my waste is not collected?

    You can contact the contractor directly regarding a non-collection. See the Collection Information above for contractor contact details.

    Alternatively, you can email hazardouswaste-info@unimelb.edu.au.

  • How do I destroy unused schedule 8 and schedule 9 poisons?

    Schedule 8 and schedule 9 poisons that are not intended for administration to a patient can be destroyed by the following individuals:registered medical practitioner, veterinary practitioner, dentist, pharmacist, nurse or registered midwife

  • Do I need to fill out an EPA certificate when I dispose of Bio Security waste?

    Yes. The waste producer is required to upload the part A and B of the EPA certificate online. Please contact the Chemical Safety Consultant for further information.