First Aid Kits and Automated External Defibrillator
Advice on purchasing and servicing a AED unit or first aid kit
First Aid Kits
Options for Maintaining First Aid Kits and Equipment
1. Integrated Workplace Inspection Approach:
Incorporate first aid kit and equipment maintenance into the scheduled workplace inspection program, with involvement from the dedicated inspection team members.
2. First Aid Kit Inspection:
Implement a systematic first aid kit and equipment inspection schedule, aided by the comprehensive "First Aid Kit Basic Contents" document, ensuring thorough assessments at regular intervals.
3. Maintenance through Preferred Supplier:
Optimise first aid kit management by leveraging the services of our trusted supplier, St. John's Ambulance, for inspection, replenishment of supplies and maintenance.
Maintenance through Preferred Supplier
The University of Melbourne is committed to ensuring the safety and well-being of its employees and students by maintaining first aid kits across all campuses. To achieve this efficiently, we have established a partnership with St. John Victoria as our preferred supplier. This partnership not only standardises the first aid kit management process but also results in resource optimisation and time efficiency. St. John Victoria also offers the option to purchase first aid products, including complete kits and individual supplies directly through their service.
1. Sign Up and Set Up an Account:
- Complete the form on the Staff Services Portal and review the document.
- Assign a local contact person responsible for first aid kit management.
- Raise a standing Purchase Order (PO) through iProcurement for St. John Ambulance Australia (Victoria) Inc. (ABN: 69061844380).
- Complete the "First aid kits service request" available on the Staff Services Portal.
- Review the "Process & Responsibilities"
2. Meet with the Representative and Set Up Service:
- Schedule a meeting with the St. John Victoria representative at a mutually agreed location and time.
- Conduct a walk-through of the area/building to identify the location of each first aid kit and provide any necessary additional information (e.g., special kit types).
- The representative will affix barcodes on the kits to track future inspections.
- Share any specific area requirements, such as laboratory inductions or restricted access.
- Agree on a regular service frequency and set future servicing dates. St. John will confirm servicing dates via email two weeks in advance. It's essential to respond promptly to this confirmation email to ensure service attendance.
3. Payment and Invoicing:
- The local area will be charged for the first aid kit inspection fee (hourly rate) and any required replenishment of items (missing or expired).
- An invoice will be generated a couple of days after the service day.
- All invoices will be directed to the University's Finance department, quoting the respective PO number, in compliance with the University Finance Policy.
4. Reporting and Auditing:
- St. John Ambulance will email the local contact person a comprehensive report following the completion of the service.
- Notify St. John Victoria promptly if there are any changes in the local contact person or the location of the kits.
For any inquiries or assistance, please reach out to the Health & Safety Services team.
Specialised first aid kits
Automated External Defibrillators (AEDs)
The location of your AED is critical in an emergency:
- It needs to be easy to access for people of all heights and abilities.
- It should be positioned in a central location which is obvious to anyone who may need to use the device.
- It must be clearly visible and not hidden away in cupboards, lockers or drawers
You can access here all the Automated external defibrillators campus locations
- AED Unit with a Cabinet: Zoll AEDs Plus ZOLL AED Plus Fully Automatic, Wall Alarmed Cabinet with Strobe Light, 3D AED Sign Defibrillator Bundle
- Only the AED Unit: ZOLL AED Plus Fully Automatic Defibrillator
- Supplier Name: INTEGRITY HEALTH & SAFETY PTY LTD
- Supplier Number: 41966
- PO number
- Specific items required
- Contact person and delivery address
- Contact person for invoice payment
- It should be of the Zoll AED Plus brand and model.
- The unit must be listed in the current approved Automated external defibrillators campus locations, as recognised by our Health & Safety Services Team.
- If a new Zoll AED Plus is acquired, the precise location details should be promptly submitted through the Automated External Defibrillator (AED) Register Update form