Travel and off campus work

International travel, fieldwork and off campus activities

If you are travelling or undertaking off campus activities where you find yourself working in a hotel room or whilst in transit then you may find additional useful information on the Working from home or remotely page.


All University staff travel is governed by the following policies:

Staff Travel Policy (MPF1300)

Student Travel and Transport Policy (MPF1209).

Requirements and Processes

Health & Safety: Travel and off-campus requirements

Health & Safety - Undertake travel and off campus activities


Staff can refer to UniTravel for all bookings and further advice.

Refer to Insurance for information on travel cover.

  • International travel

    The University defines a high risk destination based on Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) advice levels. Currently the University determines this with the following advisories:

    Other sources of travel advisories and alerts:

    You can also check out the International Travel Guide, on what you need to know when travelling overseas on University of Melbourne business.

    The Travel to high risk destinations risk assessment form is needed when you are asking for approval to travel to a high risk international destination on University business.

    Travel vaccinations may be required depending on your travel plans. Guidance and more information is available from the Occupational Health Nurse.

    Personal Travel

    The University will not approve or provide support for personal travel to high risk destinations.

    1. Travellers undertaking personal international travel are encouraged to review and take into account the Australian Government’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade Smartraveller advisories for each intended destination.
    2. Travellers are encouraged to review and consider:
      1. country and region advice; and
      2. their personal circumstances and attributes, including social media presence (including references to University of Melbourne, course, research or other academic pursuit) as relevant to the advisory.
      3. advice for all travellers:
    3. Travellers who are citizens or residents of other countries, including dual nationals, are encouraged to review and consider the travel advisories published by the government of the respective countries.
    4. Travellers must not take University of Melbourne assets, including mobile phones, tables and computers, when undertaking personal travel to international destinations.
    5. Travellers undertaking personal travel must not engage in any coursework or research activity associated with their University of Melbourne course and/employment.
    6. Travellers need to arrange travel insurance for any personal travel to high risk destinations which occurs before, after or within any period of authorised university travel.
  • Off campus activities

    Off campus activities include any University supervised or coordinated route, travel or excursion to an off campus location for the purposes of extracurricular activities. The following forms are available for use:

  • Field work

    Where undertaking field work, the following forms and guidance materials are available for use.

    The Health & Safety: Field work guidelines and the Health & Safety: Field work plan have been updated to include COVID-19 risk mitigation strategies.

    The Health & Safety: Field work guidelines and the Health & Safety: Field work plan whilst often associated with medium to extreme risk activities, should be used for all off-campus activities including low risk activities, such as off-campus conferences and retreats.

  • Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) advice

    The University has published advice regarding the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19). To view this advice as it relates to staff or students please select from the options below (requires university credentials to access):

    Advice for Staff Advice for Students