Travel and off campus work
International travel, fieldwork and off campus activities
If you are travelling or undertaking off campus activities where you find yourself working in a hotel room or whilst in transit then you may find additional useful information on the Working from home or remotely page.
All University-related travel is governed by the following policies:
People travelling on University-related business (including fieldwork, conferences) are expected to behave appropriately at all times. Appropriate behaviour is governed by the following policies:
Refer to the University Safer Community Program website that promotes a respectful and inclusive University community. The Safer Community Program provides support and advice to members of the University of Melbourne community about inappropriate, concerning or threatening behaviour.
Requirements and Processes
Staff can refer to UniTravel for all bookings and further advice.
Refer to Insurance for information on travel cover.
Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) travel advice
The University has published specific travel advice related to staff travel and returning from overseas in response to coronavirus (COVID-19):
The University has also published general advice regarding the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19). To view this advice as it relates to staff or students please select from the options below (requires university credentials to access):
The University defines a high risk destination based on Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) advice levels. Currently the University determines this with the following advisories:
- Level 3 - Reconsider your need to travel (all regions)
- Level 4 - Do not travel (all regions)
- The University General Counsel provides the following advice to be considered by anyone travelling on university business and supervisors before approving international travel:
Other sources of travel advisories and alerts:
- Healix International Travel Oracle - Healix Travel Oracle FAQs on how to install the app on your mobile
- World Aware (previously Red24)
- Canadian travel advisory
- New Zealand travel advisory
- United Kingdom travel advisory
- USA travel advisory
You can also check out the International Travel Guide, on what you need to know when travelling overseas on University of Melbourne business.
The Travel to high risk destinations risk assessment form is needed when you are asking for approval to travel to a high risk international destination on University business. When travelling to low risk international destinations, the Travel risk assessment form can be used.
The University will not approve or provide support for personal travel to high risk destinations.
- Travellers undertaking personal international travel are encouraged to review and take into account the Australian Government’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade Smartraveller advisories for each intended destination.
- Travellers are encouraged to review and consider:
- country and region advice; and
- their personal circumstances and attributes, including social media presence (including references to University of Melbourne, course, research or other academic pursuit) as relevant to the advisory.
- advice for all travellers: https://smartraveller.gov.au/guide/all-travellers/everyone/Pages/advice-for-all-travellers.aspx
- Travellers who are citizens or residents of other countries, including dual nationals, are encouraged to review and consider the travel advisories published by the government of the respective countries.
- Travellers must not take University of Melbourne assets, including mobile phones, tables and computers, when undertaking personal travel to international destinations.
- Travellers undertaking personal travel must not engage in any coursework or research activity associated with their University of Melbourne course and/employment.
- Travellers need to arrange travel insurance for any personal travel to high risk destinations which occurs before, after or within any period of authorised university travel.
Off campus activities
Off campus activities include any University supervised or coordinated route, travel or excursion to an off campus location for the purposes of extracurricular activities. The following forms are available for use:
Where undertaking field work, the following forms and guidance materials are available for use.
The Health & Safety: Field work guidelines and the Health & Safety: Field work plan have been updated to include COVID-19 risk mitigation strategies.
International travel advice and approval
The University General Counsel provides the following advice to be considered by anyone travelling on university business and supervisors before approving international travel for study or academic activity (access requires a UoM username and password):
- Travel advice - Iran
- Travel approval alert - Iran
- Travel advice - China
- Travel advice - Research in Indonesia
- Travel to high risk destinations risk assessment form
- Travel risk assessment form
- Non UniTravel risk assessment form
- Medical questionnaire for off campus activities
- Field work plan
- Field work risk assessment form
Requirements and Processes
- Health & Safety: Travel and off-campus requirements
- Health & Safety - Undertake travel and off campus activities