What is risk assessment?
Risk assessment is the process of:
- determining the hazards to health and safety that exist for a particular task, item or work environment;
- determining the importance of each hazard by assigning it a risk rating or risk score;
- formulating risk control measures that are reasonably practicable to apply, that will reduce the risk rating/score to an acceptable level;
- documenting all these matters, usually on a risk assessment form
Further information is available in the Health & Safety: Risk management requirements document.
The Health & Safety: Risk assessment methodology describes the methodology for completing risk assessments, using the University of Melbourne’s risk assessment systems and processes. It explains both the current software application and the hard copy application.
Health & Safety: Risk matrix and definitions provides guidance on how to select the likelihood and consequence when rating a risk assessment.
ERMS (Enterprise Risk Management System)
The Risk Assessment tool used by the University of Melbourne is the ERMS (Enterprise Risk Management System) WHS Risk Register module. Anyone with a University username and password can access the online system. The risk assessment forms listed below and available for anyone without ERMS access.
- General risk assessment forms
Hazard-specific risk assessment forms
Hazard-specific risk assessment forms have been created to provide guidance to assessing many common hazard categories. These forms provide prompts about the hazards typically encountered during a specific activity.
Note: for a full listing, search for "risk assessment" in the "search all" section on the Processes, policies and forms page.
Topic Risk Assessment Form Chemical Confined Spaces Field Work First Aid
- Refer: First Aid
Manual Handling Noise Office Ergonomics Plant Purchasing Radioactive Material Traffic Travel Travel to high risk destinations risk assessment form
Hazard specific forms
- Chemical risk assessment form
- Computer workstation self-assessment checklist
- Confined space identification and risk assessment form
- Field work risk assessment form
- Manual handling risk assessment form
- Noise hazard identification form
- Non UniTravel risk assessment form
- Plant risk assessment form
- Pre-purchase risk assessment checklist
- Radioactive material risk assessment form
- Sample laboratory notebook
- Traffic management risk assessment form
- Travel to high risk destinations risk assessment form
- Health & Safety: University of Melbourne health and safety risk register
- Health & Safety: Risk register form
- Health & Safety: Risk register example biological laboratory
- Health & Safety: Risk register example chemical laboratory
- Health & Safety: Risk register example office
- Health & Safety: Risk register example workshops
- Health & Safety: Risk assessment methodology
- Risk Matrix and Definitions
- Completing a health and safety risk register
- Guide to chemical risk hierarchy of control
- Guide to the manual handling hierarchy of control